EAP772(EU) v1.0 not compatible with Apple Silicon M3?

2 weeks ago
Model: EAP772  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Several clients can connect fine to the EAP772 but only a Macbook Air M3 can not connect. I followed the rabbit hole and dug deep into the system settings of that mac and there is no fault to be found. I assume that the EAP772 is not compatible with M3 macs yet. The mac in question connects fine to an EAP683 (both APs were not turned on at the same time).

Anybody else experienced similar issues with newer macs?

Relevant infos:

* Macbook Air M3

* Macos Sonoma 14.6.1

* EAP772(EU) v1.0

* Firmware1.0.2 Build 20240312 Rel. 31645

I have tried several things and always tried to connect to wifi:

* connect to existing 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, 6Ghz wlans and any combination of these

* create a new wlan with several combinations 2.4, 5 and 6 Ghz

* try wlans with security set to None

* reboot mac and AP several times

* create a new user on the mac

* boot mac in safe mode

* create an USB bootable stick with Macos Sonoma, boot it and connect to wifi from there

* remove all network settings from /Library/Preferences/SystemConfigurations

* remove any saved wifi credentials from keychain (also icloud keychain)

On the mac I get these relevant log entries:

Assoc: <airport[377]> Will associate to [ssid=XXX, bssid=<redacted>, channel=(channel=36, width=80), ibss=no, cc=DE, rssi=-44, rsn=(mcast=aes_ccm, ucast={ aes_ccm }, auths={ sae }, caps=0xcc), wpa=(null), wep=no], hasPassword=1

Info: <airport[377]> <en0> Failed to associate to Wi-Fi network XXX, returned error code -3970, retrying

AutoJoin: <airport[377]> -[CWXPCSubsystem __associateToWiFiNetwork:tetherDevice:password:is8021X:passpointDomain:remember:possiblyHidden:updateUserKeychain:interface:processName:suspendAWDLToken:isAutoJoin:error:]: Failed to associate to Wi-Fi network XXX on interface en0, triggering auto-join

Apple80211SetWithIOCTL:13415 @[15345.581950] ifname['en0'] IOCTL type 22/'APPLE80211_IOC_DISASSOCIATE' return -528342013/0xe0822403

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP772(EU) v1.0 not compatible with Apple Silicon M3?
2 weeks ago

Hi  @Nicolinux 

This issue seems to be quite complex and could be due to a variety of factors.

I noticed that the firmware of EAP772 is not the latest. Sometimes, these updates can resolve compatibility issues with newer devices. Please update it to have a try.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/eap772/v1/#Firmware

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Thank you for the hint. The omada controller update checker is pretty useless since it didn't show the latest firmware available.

I have updated manually to the latest firmware version for the EAP772 - 1.0.13 and the issue still persists :(

Even more, I have installed a fresh macos system on the Macbook Air in question and it has the same issue. I can't connect to any wifi network via the EAP772. If I use the EAP683UR it works.

So I can exclude any software issues on the mac (because of the fresh install). I am more inclined to think that the EAP772s have a general problem with Macbook Air M3s.

Would be nice if somebody else with the same configuration could validate this, thanks!

Options
a week ago

@Nicolinux 

Thank you so much for taking the time to post the issue on TP-Link community!
To better assist you, I've created a support ticket via your registered email address, and escalated it to our support engineer to look into the issue. The ticket ID is 240947069, please check your email box and ensure the support email is well received. Thanks!
Once the issue is addressed or resolved, welcome to update this topic thread with your solution to help others who may encounter the same issue as you did.
Many thanks for your great cooperation and patience!

Options
a week ago
Hi, thanks. The issue has been solved. The client in question (the Macbook Air M3) was locked to the EAP683UR and when this AP was turned off, and the EAP772, then the client could not connect. Sorry for the long post and great that the controller/ap did their job well regarding the locked feature... :)
Options