ER605 - DNS slowness

ER605 - DNS slowness

ER605 - DNS slowness
ER605 - DNS slowness
2024-09-05 20:21:19

Hello, I'm experiencing the same issue in the other thread (https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/575894). Essentially, there is significant delay when resolving domain in browser with the system assigned to the internal DNS by ER605. I set the external DNS than what's given by ISP, but this didn't seem to work as by default, I'm still going through the internal DNS by default.

Now when I manually assign the same external DNS on the system so it doesn't go through the internal DNS assigned by ER605 DHCP, the issue is resolved and there is no longer slowness. I can't set it up for every client though. 

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 - DNS slowness
2024-09-06 02:21:51

Hi @TigerJP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, I think you might wanna take a look at the existing post: TP-Link ER707-M2 DNS PROBLEMS (RESOLVED)

I have a question about how you tested it out. Have you ruled out that the DNS server is not the fastest in your region?

Second, please provide a diagram of your network if you need to diagnose this further. As well as your test and verification steps and results.

Any DNS-related settings you have enabled on the router, please specify.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-09-06 03:18:45 - last edited 2024-09-06 03:19:53

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply. I've read the post you added although I'm unsure about the next step from there.

Before running namebench/DNSBench, I was simply able to verify that there is significant difference because the experience of same web page browsing was day and night when using what's given by the internal DHCP server vs. setting the external DNS server directly on the interface (on OS setting). Often times, I'd get the timeout. That resolved immediately by setting the same external DNS servers directly on the network interface setting.

Note that this won't be a matter of finding the fastest DNS server because I've listed the same DNS servers on the router (instead of what's given by ISP because as you said, I wanted to rule out ISP's DNS server performance first) which are 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. That means the same DNS servers specified on the router as well as the client's network setting. Since both are using the same external DNS server, there shouldn't be any difference, right? If they are slow by a few ms than other regional DNS servers that may be faster, that should be consistent, but that's not the case here.

I also have validated that this isn't specific to the client issue, by testing out using a different OS. Both clients are hard wired on same LAN/VLAN. 

I'm unsure if the diagram I'm attaching is what you meant by, but it's pretty much simple setup. Both testbenches are connected to SG2210P via switching hub.

And here's the DNS related settings on the router. Pretty basic setup.

I can attach the namebench results as I get them. Did you want me to test with what's given by the router vs. manually setting the same external DNS severs on the network setting on the testbench? Also, if you have a better way to validate this, please advise.

Options
2024-09-06 03:28:10

Hi @TigerJP 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TigerJP wrote

@Clive_A Thanks for your reply. I've read the post you added although I'm unsure about the next step from there.

Before running namebench/DNSBench, I was simply able to verify that there is significant difference because the experience of same web page browsing was day and night when using what's given by the internal DHCP server vs. setting the external DNS server directly on the interface (on OS setting). Often times, I'd get the timeout. That resolved immediately by setting the same external DNS servers directly on the network interface setting.

Note that this won't be a matter of finding the fastest DNS server because I've listed the same DNS servers on the router (instead of what's given by ISP because as you said, I wanted to rule out ISP's DNS server performance first) which are 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. That means the same DNS servers specified on the router as well as the client's network setting. Since both are using the same external DNS server, there shouldn't be any difference, right? If they are slow by a few ms than other regional DNS servers that may be faster, that should be consistent, but that's not the case here.

I also have validated that this isn't specific to the client issue, by testing out using a different OS. Both clients are hard wired on same LAN/VLAN. 

I'm unsure if the diagram I'm attaching is what you meant by, but it's pretty much simple setup. Both testbenches are connected to SG2210P via switching hub.

And here's the DNS related settings on the router. Pretty basic setup.

I can attach the namebench results as I get them. Did you want me to test with what's given by the router vs. manually setting the same external DNS severs on the network setting on the testbench? Also, if you have a better way to validate this, please advise.

So, what's the slowness about? That's what I want to ask. I might not get myself clear.

Is this about the resolution speed or the router relay your DNS query from the test bench(or a client) to the ISP-grade router then to the DNS server?

This is what I want to isolate and get from your description.

I really cannot think of how the router affects your DNS resolution or a way to validate that as the router purely relays the DNS query like the topology above. There is no such issue reported on the forum or internally. These are purely false alarms and latency issues.

Test result screenshots would be great. More info would be helpful.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 174

Replies: 3

Related Articles