ER707-m2 V.120 SFP Issues?

2024-08-21 15:37:33 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

Hi.

I switched from a homelab pfSense PC which was using my ISPs SFP module for basically fibre straight into it (Bypassing the ISP fibre router). This worked great with the correct settings. However using the same SFP module and settings in the Omada router nothing works or connects. Is it very finicky with the SFP module?

The SFP module is an SFP-31W2A from CT Systems

Hardware version on the router is V1.20 and I have read people using other omada routers like the 605 and 7206 with this ISP without issues.

Best regards.

Edit: Found the culprit. Look further down. SFP module speed negotiation can't be set to Auto.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:ER707-m2 V.120 SFP Issues?-Solution
2024-08-22 00:57:18 - last edited 2024-08-22 06:11:27

Hi @Gromit83 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Nobody really guaranteed that it can work. If you happened to read my replies to the questions like this, it is not guaranteed.

Some ISPs can allow you to use the direct fiber with a module. That does not require a modem. Some do not.

The modules may not be compatible with the router. That could also lead to a problem like what you have now.

Common Questions About SFP Module and Media Converter

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Well. My guess that you basically lied to me has been proven right.

I bought a MCL220L TP-Link Omada media converter to test the SFP module and I even bought a TP-Link SFP module equivalent to the module I had already.
That's the TP-Link TL-SM321B.

With the media converter I get a link with both the TP-Link SFP module and the ISP provided SFP module. (CT Systems SFP-31W2A)

With the same modules in the ER707 they refuse to connect.

So this proves that the SFP port on the ER707-M2 is basically useless and flawed. I hope you can remedy this in a future firmware update. Even TP-Link SFPs won't work in it.

So any other users reading this.

EDIT: Found the culprit. It was the module speed negotiation set to Auto.

If you are using the SFP port set the speed to 1000 Mbps / Full duplex (I had to enable Flow Control as well)

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
2024-08-22 00:57:18 - last edited 2024-08-22 06:11:27

Hi @Gromit83 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Nobody really guaranteed that it can work. If you happened to read my replies to the questions like this, it is not guaranteed.

Some ISPs can allow you to use the direct fiber with a module. That does not require a modem. Some do not.

The modules may not be compatible with the router. That could also lead to a problem like what you have now.

Common Questions About SFP Module and Media Converter

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:ER707-m2 V.120 SFP Issues?
2024-08-22 05:47:16

@Clive_A 

Well. Guess I'm returning it and getting a refund then.

Thanks for the input.

Options

@Clive_A 

I bought a MCL220L TP-Link Omada media converter to test the SFP module and I even bought a TP-Link SFP module equivalent to the module I had already.

With the media converter I get a link with both the TP-Link SFP module and the ISP provided SFP module. (CT Systems SFP-31W2A)

So this proves that the SFP port on the ER707-M2 is basically useless and flawed. I hope you can remedy this in a future firmware update. Even TP-Link SFPs won't work in it.

EDIT: Found the culprit. It was the module speed negotiation set to Auto.

If you are using the SFP port set the speed to 1000 Mbps / Full duplex (I had to enable Flow Control as well)

Recommended Solution
Options
3 weeks ago

@Gromit83 

Gromit83 wrote

@Clive_A 

Don't buy the ER707 if you need the SFP port.

This approaches me in a really strange way.

Didn't I explain these in the article?

I don't really have to lie to you and I don't understand why you are blaming me.

Options

I have read what you sent me and that's why I got issues with it. What part of my reply was confusing? Excuse me if i'm a bit cross but I don't like to be sent down already known paths. I'm not a novice user. I have a nice stable connection with both SFP modules with the MC220L media converter towards my ISP and the ER707 RJ45 WLAN port. Same exact SFP modules in the ER707 SFP (Yes configured to WLAN) port gives zero connection. It does not work with the same exact settings. ER707 Refuses to connect and establish a link. I have raised this with support so we will see what they say.

EDIT: I did some digging and found info about other ER routers having problems with SFP modules if the speed was set to Auto. I will try this tomorrow and report back.

EDIT2: Yup. This was the issue all the time. Set speed negotiation from auto to 1000mbit/full Duplex and connection established.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 284

Replies: 5

Related Articles