Wan port Internet failover

2024-06-17 06:35:12 - last edited 2024-06-18 01:51:49

Hello, 

We are using 2 lease lines on static IP whenever 1 wan port fails it does switch back to the backup port also we checked in load balancing traffic goes to the down port.

after checking multiple times we found that Wan port is connected but the status is offline. when we unplugged the wan port 1 then it got switched over. The likely reason will be that we are using static IP for both wan ports only when the system shows a link down then only it gets switched. online detection is not working as expected.

As the Image shows we removed the plug from wan 1 it got switched over but when the internet is down and plugged dial-up is connected but inline detection is offline.

but the Device shows connected to this. image is just an example.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Wan port Internet failover
2024-06-18 01:53:43

Hi @yash555 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Offline means No Internet.

Connected means the hardware connection is on.

Common Questions About the Load Balancing, Link Backup(Failover) & Online Detection

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-06-18 04:30:50

@yash555 

I have 3 Wan currently using 3 in load balancing and also enabled echo server 8.8.8.8 

when 1 wan fails hardware shows connected but online detection shows offline which is great but my users cannot browse until I unplug wan 1.

similarly, wan 1 and wan 2 are primary and wan 3 is backup if any of the two fails switch over is not happening & users cannot browse.

well we checked in Pppoe connection if wan fails it switches perfectly as the hardware shows disconnected and online detection is offline 

whereas in static IP configuration is not the case

Please suggest a solution to this problem we do not want downtime and transition should happen automatically without manual intervention.

Options
2024-06-18 05:48:11

Hi @yash555 

yash555 wrote

@yash555 

I have 3 Wan currently using 3 in load balancing and also enabled echo server 8.8.8.8 

when 1 wan fails hardware shows connected but online detection shows offline which is great but my users cannot browse until I unplug wan 1.

similarly, wan 1 and wan 2 are primary and wan 3 is backup if any of the two fails switch over is not happening & users cannot browse.

well we checked in Pppoe connection if wan fails it switches perfectly as the hardware shows disconnected and online detection is offline 

whereas in static IP configuration is not the case

Please suggest a solution to this problem we do not want downtime and transition should happen automatically without manual intervention.

Please give a tracert result (screenshot) that reflects what you described when WAN1 is down but it does not load balance between the WAN2 as two are both selected to be Primary WANs.

WAN information would be great as well.
Check your firmware if they are not up-to-date. I also need to know your firmware for the controller and router.

Please mosaic your sensitive information. Here is a list of information considered sensitive:

1. Public IP address on your WAN if your WAN is.

2. Real MAC address of your device.

3. Your personal information including address, domain name, and credentials.

For troubleshooting purposes, when a WAN IP is needed, please leave some values visible for identification.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-06-18 05:58:52
Hi clive We have working hours now and 1 internet link is down can connect over the phone or remote access where I can show you if possible
Options
2024-06-18 06:27:11

Hi @yash555 

yash555 wrote

Hi clive We have working hours now and 1 internet link is down can connect over the phone or remote access where I can show you if possible

Just post the screenshots here. 

Options
2024-06-18 06:49:43

@Clive_A 

Options
2024-06-18 06:50:11
Options
2024-06-18 08:31:14

Hi @yash555 

yash555 wrote

@Clive_A 

Both WAN2 and WAN3 in the pictures use 192.168.0.2 as the gateway??

This is not correct. Please them in different subnets.

Options
2024-06-18 08:38:20

@Clive_A 

"I couldn't understand why we were using a single subnet."

it is a gateway IP as in router.

Options
2024-06-18 08:46:23 - last edited 2024-06-18 08:48:25

Hi @yash555 

yash555 wrote

@Clive_A 

"I couldn't understand why we were using a single subnet."

it is a gateway IP as in router.

Look, we are not on the same page. I am not you and you are telling a story to someone else instead of yourself. I am finding it hard to understand your diagram. I have asked for a better and clearer description. Please provide the information I need.

And I am not getting your problem and I need you to provide information before I make an assumption if it is a problem with the config, router or it is expected behavior.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 10

Related Articles