POE not working to Tapo camera

2024-05-22 03:06:55 - last edited 2024-08-29 01:22:56
Model: SG2210P  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.20.10 Build 20240115 Rel.72847

I have an 8-port TL-SG2210P POE switch and a TP-Link Tapo-C320ws camera.

I understand that the camera is not natively a POE camera. But I have a splitter to take POE power and break it out for the camera. The camera should draw less than 6 watts. 9V, 0.6 A DC.

On the System Configuration section of the switch interface, the POE Status is "Enabled". But the Power Status column says "Off". And the camera does not come up.

I am missing something or do not understand how POW and splitters work.

Would someone explain to the novice why this is not happening please?

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:POE not working to Tapo camera-Solution
2024-06-10 06:29:42 - last edited 2024-08-29 01:22:56

@BushyYate 

Worked it out. Simply needed a PoE splitter adapter that was IEEE 802.3af Compliant.

Thanks

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-29 01:22:48 - last edited 2024-08-29 01:22:58

Hi @CHRISTOSK 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

CHRISTOSK wrote

@BushyYate 

hello

New user here and first time installing any kind of cameras etc. 

I am facing same problem as many, I purchased 7 TAPO C320WS under the impression that they could work with POE but looks like I will need to follow similar solution with you.

could you please advise a bit more? or maybe some photos or amazon link for that splitter?

problem is that there are so many in the market and I dont know which one is the correct or could work with these cameras.

I have a POE switch with 8 ports and 7 cameras.

should the splitter be active or passive?

in the market I find 12V and 5V but cameras are 9V 0.6A.

could anyone assist please??

Thanks!

Not sure what hardware you have but it does NOT seem to be PoE ready.

PoE splitter is a product like this one, for example, (warning) which may not be suitable for your model:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-accessory-poe-adapter/tl-poe10r/

You should also check out the guide we have on the page which is pinned.

Common Questions About 802.3 PoE

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:POE not working to Tapo camera
2024-05-23 01:31:36

Hi @BushyYate 

You should take a look at the PoE splitter you have. This does not look like a problem with the PoE switch from any aspect.

Is the splitter from us? You should check the cable as well. Try a 3ft one and test it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-05-23 10:48:57
I do not think, and did not intend to suggest that there was any issue with the device. My question relates to how to get it to work. I fully accept that the lack of success is due to me not understanding something.
Options
2024-06-10 06:29:42 - last edited 2024-08-29 01:22:56

@BushyYate 

Worked it out. Simply needed a PoE splitter adapter that was IEEE 802.3af Compliant.

Thanks

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-28 14:39:38

@BushyYate 

hello

I am facing same problem as many, I purchased 7 TAPO C320WS under the impression that they could work with POE but looks like I will need to follow similar solution with you.

could you please advise a bit more? or maybe some photos or amazon link for that splitter?

problem is that there are so many in the market and I dont know which one is the correct or could work with these cameras.

Thanks!

Options
2024-08-29 01:22:48 - last edited 2024-08-29 01:22:58

Hi @CHRISTOSK 

CHRISTOSK wrote

@BushyYate 

hello

Thanks!

Not sure what hardware you have but it does NOT seem to be PoE ready.

PoE splitter is a product like this one, for example, (warning) which may not be suitable for your model:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-accessory-poe-adapter/tl-poe10r/

You should also check out the guide we have on the page which is pinned.

Common Questions About 802.3 PoE

Recommended Solution
Options