Need help with simple VLAN setup using ER8411 + SG3428X

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-17 21:08:18
Model: ER8411  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20231214 Rel.77035

Can someone please help me with what ports should be tagged/untagged as I have tried almost all of the combinations of tagged ports, untagged ports, PVID's, MFID's, WTFID's and whatever else.  Since the equipment is racked elsewhere in my home i have to keep running back and forth to move cabling.  I want to separate my APs(ASUS AX92U) into 2 networks, one on each VLAN. Right now I have everything on the 10. network and its working, but the er8411 isn't putting devices on the 192 network.  The server works just fine believe it or not.

I've spent too long looking at the manuals and trying different configurations I THOUGHT would work but still no luck. What ports do I need to tag in order to separate these networks?    Thought this was a simple setup, but alas..  nothing is simple.

Heres a diagram of my setup.. any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

c09b804917b94bb680e978e4bf556dfe

d460ede7855f47fc907905a0007dfabf

Options
6 Reply
Re:Need help with simple VLAN setup using ER8411 + SG3428X
2024-03-17 22:18:47
If I tag port 2 in both VLANS on the ER8411 I lose wifi connectivity.
Options
2024-03-18 02:25:25

Hi @knightmare 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Just based on what you showed me, ASUS router, I don't know if they support SSID VLAN. So, I assume they don't. So, the last picture is untagged with PVID.

For the reason why they are configured like this, you may search on Google or our FAQ:

Get to understand VLAN and how it works.

VLAN trunk.

FAQ:

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-03-18 13:21:21

@Clive_A 

I did exactly what you labeled above but and rebooted all devices but it still didnt work.  I think you are right that these ASUS AP's that I have do not support SSID VLANs.

What is weird though, is I did at ONE point throughout my many reckless configuration changes, have the ER8411 shelling out 192. addresses but I don't remember exactly what I did.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out, this reflects what a great community this really is!

Options
2024-03-19 01:22:10

Hi @knightmare 

knightmare wrote

@Clive_A 

I did exactly what you labeled above but and rebooted all devices but it still didnt work.  I think you are right that these ASUS AP's that I have do not support SSID VLANs.

What is weird though, is I did at ONE point throughout my many reckless configuration changes, have the ER8411 shelling out 192. addresses but I don't remember exactly what I did.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out, this reflects what a great community this really is!

If you set them to be tagged, you have to make sure ASUS routers support SSID VLAN when in AP mode. If they are in router mode, then there is no point in making the VLAN. As it is a NAT and a DHCP server.

It would be best if you fact-checked this with ASUS support.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-03-26 12:36:22

@Clive_A Looks like the ASUS AP's will use SSID VLANS when plugged directly into the ER8411

Options
2024-03-27 01:16:59

Hi @knightmare 

knightmare wrote

@Clive_A Looks like the ASUS AP's will use SSID VLANS when plugged directly into the ER8411

If they use SSID VLAN which means they support 802.1Q VLAN you can use a tagged port for ASUS devices in AP mode.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 611

Replies: 6

Related Articles