DFS, Channel Limit, EAP225-Outdoor

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-02-09 08:36:39

Could somebody explain to me this logic ?

when using indoor AP in mesh with EAP-225 outdoor the outdoor cannot be meshed with j door unit because outdoor unit has to use channel limit and the indoor unit does not. 

I saw another thread where suggestion was to manually set channel of indoor unit to a channel which is supported by outdoor unit while in channel limiting configuration. 

this works of course but then it defeats purpose and disallows use of DFS as far I know ?

so how is this logic still in place so long ?

why the indoor unit isn't forced to respect channel limit of meshed outdoor unit ? Then DFS works. 

seriously some stuff in Omada ecosystem is just plain stupid and I regret going this route for my network. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:DFS, Channel Limit, EAP225-Outdoor
2024-02-09 16:31:47

@pdu_ 

are both AP loaded with firmware from the same region?

What is your region...maybe we go check the local requirements for DFS?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-02-10 09:10:29 - last edited 2024-02-10 09:12:10

@d0ugmac1 Central Europe

Only channels 100, 104, 108 and 112 are allowed outdoors, so omada limits this on the EAP225-Outdoor(EU) v3.0

But it does NOT limit the channels for the indoor EAP245(EU) v3.0 that is in mesh with outdoor unit.

So when indoor unit auto switches to anything else than the 4 above channels, it loses connection to outdoor unit.

Just plain terrible design.

Options
2024-02-10 14:03:04

@pdu_ 

I can hear your frustration, but I don't think this was 'terrible' design...maybe an ugly corner case.  Might even be worthy of a feature request in the appropriate forum.

However, I think that abdicating your mesh design to 'Auto' channel selection IS actually a terrible design.  Do your site survey, fix your indoor unit to the best 5.8 channel (and by which I mean the best channel for outdoor performance, not indoor) and then enjoy your mesh.  My outdoor 225's have been rock solid for two years now.

Options
2024-02-10 21:17:56 - last edited 2024-02-10 21:32:44

@d0ugmac1 following regulations and laws we're obliged to use Auto for following reason: Outdoor units MUST use DFS channels, therefore Full Channel DFS is required to adapt to radar and other interference, if you forcefully set a single DFS channel only you are not allowing your AP to change frequency.

So in my eyes, tp-link omada AP is unable to function properly whlist following EU local laws and regulations. (Unless you put Outdoor unit indoors and use it in mesh with other outdoor units (but who does that), or have a wire going to one of the outdoor units, but then why use mesh if we're able to dig a cable outside at that point)

Options
2024-02-11 14:11:26

@pdu_ 

Thanks, learned something today.  Agree that there is a flaw in the controller design (since the controller is required to mesh).  Suggest you write up a suggestion post, for instance, does ticking the 'Mesh Enabled' box, automatically remove ALL indoor channels from ALL APs in your region, or should one have to identify root nodes, or ??

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 598

Replies: 5

Related Articles