Setttings DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Setttings DHCP

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Setttings DHCP
Setttings DHCP
2024-01-17 08:31:57
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.15

Hello,

I have a modem/router from the provider and 3 EAP's 650 of which one is wireless (no cable).

To the modem is directly a Netgear GS308EP ethernet switch connected. The wired EAP 650's as other devices (TV's) are all connected to this switch.

My question: What are the best settings concerning DHCP? On the EAP's or the modem from the provider? 

thanks 

Dirk 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Setttings DHCP
2024-01-18 06:10:55

@DickGroen 

If you have the modem router, EAP will obtain IP address auto, leaving the router as the dhcp server.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2024-01-19 11:56:59

@Virgo this means I don't have to set up the eap 650 without DHCP? Now this option is on at the modem and EAP's.

Options
2024-01-19 23:38:42

@DickGroen 

How is your wireless AP going to work without an Omada Controller?

Are all APs connected to the switch, if so, Virgo is correct, your ISP's gateway should provide the DHCP for both the APs and the clients (not ideal, but it works)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-01-20 09:04:37

@d0ugmac1 

wiress AP is conected to the wires Root AP.

Omada controller is also connected to the swtich.

you say it is not ideal, what is a better set-up?

Options
2024-01-20 16:53:29 - last edited 2024-01-20 16:54:40

@DickGroen 

Ok, it wasn't clear if you had a controller or not.  Best practice would have the AP IPs in the management subnet and VLAN, and each SSID in it's own subnet/VLAN as well.

However, if your setup is just the 3 TPlink APs and a controller, you are fine to run it the way you are, but I would fix (set statically) the IP's of the AP since any disruption to those IPs will result in a disruption to all attached clients.  You will need to do this on your router directly unless it is also controlled by the OC200.

To answer your original question, the APs cannot serve IPs to end users, they don't have a built in DHCP server (or at least not the ones I have), and even if they did, you don't want multiple DHCP servers on the same subnet.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 317

Replies: 5

Related Articles