Phone behind router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Phone behind router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
24 Reply
Re:Phone behind router
2023-12-15 15:02:24

@Liftboy 

If you connect the Fritz box directly to the ISP modem (for instance, overnight), does SIP stay registered then?  If not, nothing you do to the Omada kit will help.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-12-15 15:16:29

@d0ugmac1 

Hey!

The Fritzbox previously ran as a modem and router. Telephony was possible without restrictions. After setting up the Omada things, it worked at first and then telephony was no longer possible. I restarted Omada router and 200, like Fritzbox and then it worked again. A Grandstream WLan phone has the same problems as the Fritzbox. I just remembered that I still have a Raspberry in the DNS and use Homeassistant and Adguard to pull out the adverts. So the Adguard is the DNS server. But that didn't cause any pain before and doesn't provide any obvious reason. Would still have to be tested (remove and restart everything). Thank you very much for your help. I tend to be travelling with dangerous half-knowledge ;)

Frank

Options
2023-12-15 15:37:05

@Liftboy 

Ok that's some good detail.  I have two further suggestions:

1. configure the IP information on the Fritz box statically (ie fix IP/subnet and DNS and you can use 8.8.8.8 for fun) just make sure the IP fits in the correct subnet of the Omada system and the IP is either reserved or not part of the DHCP pool for that subnet

2. configure some sort of regular traffic, like a keepalive test every 10-30min to keep the ARP cache alive (ie so the Omada router knows where to find the Fritz MAC).

Options
2023-12-15 16:17:56

@Liftboy 

A Grandstream WLan phone has the same problems as the Fritzbox.

The Grandstream does have the ability to send a SIP debug log to a syslog server I believe.

As said earlier, I suspect its down to tracing the SIP traffic with Wireshark. You could probably use the port mirroring on the ER707 to mirror the WAN port and thus see exactly what's happening

Options
2023-12-21 07:26:49

I have heard from the DSL/telephone provider that VoIP telephony must run via the DSL connection.

There is certainly a routing option here ... .

At the moment I have the DSL connection on the Fritzbox and only use it to run the telephone. I need to find some more time to deal with it and understand it.

Thanks for your help so far!

Frank

Options
2023-12-21 07:56:03

@Liftboy 

I found this comment on another froum

If the FritzBox units that Zen ship are working in the same way as an ISP a bunch of my German users are using is, then it's probably not going to work.

It isn't just that the FritzBox needs to have a working internet connection, it needs to have a public WAN IP address or the SIP services don't start at least that's our theory. One of my guys had a play about to see if he could get it working with the FritzBox being behind another NAT router but gave up in the end.

Options
2023-12-21 09:03:43

@MisterW 

I also fear something like this. If necessary, move the phone numbers to a SIP provider.

Thank you very much for this tip! I'll get in touch with the ISP O2 ;) and report back.

Frank

Options
2023-12-21 15:45:29

@Liftboy 

For testing and to prove out the NAT theory, why not make the Fritzbox the DMZ for your Omada router?  

Options
2023-12-21 16:03:31

@d0ugmac1 

I had already done exactly that and was very surprised that it was not successful. Over the holidays I will test how it looks when only the DSL is connected to the router and the Fritzbox with DMZ goes over the DSL WAN port. Today I opened a case with the ISP, but nowadays it's also a game of chance to get someone who can't just read from a piece of paper ';)

Options
2023-12-21 16:18:09

@Liftboy 

Ok, another thing to try is to put the fritzbox in a subnet all of its own, set as DMZ for say DSL WAN, then use policy route to force that subnet out the DAL WAN.  I know Clive_A said otherwise, but have done this for ip and subnets that are not DMZ'd.  Maybe port forwards for 5060 etc instead of DMZ?

Options