Time Limit individual ports or client Mac address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-11-29 00:18:51
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how best to shut off my son's LAN connection on his PS5 at a certain time. I was hoping to use the time range settings but they seem to only work for all ports. Any ideas on a work around or a different TP Link router that would allow me to do this?

Options
10 Reply
Re:Time Limit individual ports or client Mac address
2023-11-29 01:20:04 - last edited 2023-11-29 01:20:31

Hi @rp3703 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Try the ACL. It can be time-based. Bind your son's PS to an IP address. Then you can set up an ACL rule and pick the IP group for the PS IP to block its Internet access on a time schedule.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-29 02:44:16

@Clive_A Thanks for the quick reply. From what i can tell I don't think the ER605 has the ability to set ACL rules or if it does, it's called something else. This may be way above my pay grade.

Options
2023-11-29 02:48:34

Hi @rp3703 

In standalone it is called Access Control. In the controller, it is called ACL.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-11-30 01:34:28

@Clive_A 

I had to update my firmware in order to get the access control option in stand alone mode but it’s there now. I found a video on how to set up a static IP address on the PS5. I’m assuming that’s what you mean by “binding”. Now I just need to figure out how to set up the rule. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Options
2023-11-30 02:37:23

Hi @rp3703 

On your router, you can bind the IP-MAC together on the router. Not from your PS.

So this is the first step.

Then you need to create a new IP group.

Create a time range based on your needs.

Create ACL. If you don't want PS5 to get any Internet, the destination is set to be ANY.

Options
2023-12-01 01:34:15

@Clive_A 

I think I followed your steps correctly but it’s not shutting off the PS5 so, if you don’t mind, I’d like to verify that I set it up correctly.

1. I copied the IP and MAC address for the PS5 from the system log and used those for the IP-MAC Binding.
  2. On the IP Address page, I put PS5 for the name and I switched it from IP Address Range to IP Address/Mask so that I could add the /32 to the end of the IP Address I got from the system log
  3. On the IP Group page, I used PS5 for the Group Name and picked PS5 under the Address Name
  4. On the Time Range page, I used PS5 for the Time Range Name, chose Working Calendar and greened all the boxes for the times I want the PS5 to be blocked.
  5. On the Access Control page, I put PS5 for the name. Set the Policy to Block. All for Service Type, Direction and Effective Time. Set source to PS5 and set Destination to PS5. I selected New,Established, Invalid, Related for States.

Again, I apologize for my rudimentary understanding of all this and thank you for dealing with me.

Options
2023-12-01 02:02:32

Hi @rp3703 

rp3703 wrote

@Clive_A 

I think I followed your steps correctly but it’s not shutting off the PS5 so, if you don’t mind, I’d like to verify that I set it up correctly.

1. I copied the IP and MAC address for the PS5 from the system log and used those for the IP-MAC Binding.
  2. On the IP Address page, I put PS5 for the name and I switched it from IP Address Range to IP Address/Mask so that I could add the /32 to the end of the IP Address I got from the system log
  3. On the IP Group page, I used PS5 for the Group Name and picked PS5 under the Address Name
  4. On the Time Range page, I used PS5 for the Time Range Name, chose Working Calendar and greened all the boxes for the times I want the PS5 to be blocked.
  5. On the Access Control page, I put PS5 for the name. Set the Policy to Block. All for Service Type, Direction and Effective Time. Set source to PS5 and set Destination to PS5. I selected New,Established, Invalid, Related for States.

Again, I apologize for my rudimentary understanding of all this and thank you for dealing with me.

The destination is supposed to be ANY IP. Not PS5 itself.

Options
2023-12-01 12:34:16

@Clive_A 

Changing the Destination did shut off internet access to the PS5 but it was all the time and did not follow the schedule I highlighted. 

Options
2023-12-04 01:30:51

Hi @rp3703 

rp3703 wrote

On the Time Range page, I used PS5 for the Time Range Name, chose Working Calendar and greened all the boxes for the times I want the PS5 to be blocked.

@Clive_A 

Changing the Destination did shut off internet access to the PS5 but it was all the time and did not follow the schedule I highlighted. 

Did you green it all? If you did this, of course, it is effective all day any day.

A working calendar means that you have this format. So you should pick the time you want to block his Internet.

So, leave some time range blank so that the rule will not be effective during these hours.

Options
2023-12-04 03:05:14

@Clive_A 

I did have the hours I wanted to allow internet acces left blank and the hours I wanted it shut off greened out but it still cut off all internet to the PS5. I had to change the destination back to PS5 to get it to stop cutting off all internet access. I have not had time to play with it to confirm what was happening but I will try to some time this week and get back with an update.

Options