TL-R605 v1.0 option 119 parameters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-26 19:41:05 - last edited 2023-09-27 01:17:48
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

I have an urgent need for the ability to set DHCP Option 119 parameters.  This allows the administrator to set a set of domains for resolver search configuration.

I would prefer that Option 119 be a standard advanced parameter specification just like options 60, 66, and 138.

The ER605 V2.0 (Software version 2.1.2) has the ability to set custom DHCP parameters and thus 119 can be set there.  

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-R605 v1.0 option 119 parameters
2023-09-27 03:33:13

@RichMcD ER605 V1 is so old that it hardly ever gets firmware updates anymore. Why not buy a brand new ER605 v2.x to use new functions? New devices will get more support than older ones. 

Options
2023-09-28 04:32:14

@Dahliana The primary reason is that I already have two of the V1's in addition to the V2 which is where I got the notion that adding a custom option is possible.  I would like to continue using the Omada software to manage my network rather than setting up my own DHCP server (where I can specify standard RFC options) and have to manage it in yet another UI.

I am, after all, a Scotsman; and, as such, I am extremely cheap, err, thrifty.  smiley

Rich

Options
2023-09-28 05:55:40

Hi @RichMcD 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

RichMcD wrote

@Dahliana The primary reason is that I already have two of the V1's in addition to the V2 which is where I got the notion that adding a custom option is possible.  I would like to continue using the Omada software to manage my network rather than setting up my own DHCP server (where I can specify standard RFC options) and have to manage it in yet another UI.

I am, after all, a Scotsman; and, as such, I am extremely cheap, err, thrifty.  smiley

Rich

R605 V1 is marked as EOL. TP-Link End of Life Products

I am afraid that new features may not be added to them. Based on the previous practice, the EOL products do not enjoy the firmware updates with new features added. We still provide the fix to security issues.

So, if you are expecting this feature, recommend you consider upgrading to the newer version. Or another model. I cannot guarantee that what you asked for be available.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-28 07:34:33 - last edited 2023-09-28 07:34:54

@Clive_A while it is unfortunate that v1 is no longer eligible for updates, basic dhcp features can be added to switches which are used as layer 3.

many people still have fully working and valid setups with older gateways, but switches that still get updates.

this is a decent solution to avoid unnecessary e-waste of otherwise perfectly good gateways

Options
2023-09-28 08:10:35

Hi @NinjaMonkey 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

NinjaMonkey wrote

@Clive_A while it is unfortunate that v1 is no longer eligible for updates, basic dhcp features can be added to switches which are used as layer 3.

many people still have fully working and valid setups with older gateways, but switches that still get updates.

this is a decent solution to avoid unnecessary e-waste of otherwise perfectly good gateways

I am afraid that I cannot give you this guarantee. Like I said, I can report this to the dev but it's not my decision. The old practice is mentioned above which could be the result of this.

So, you can still hope that there is an update in the future somewhere but it is not guaranteed.

I've made myself clear and I have reported it. If it is denied after their evaluation, I'll change its status.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options