DNS Resolver Functionality missing from Jetstream Firmware?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-13 13:13:49 - last edited 2023-09-19 06:56:31
Model: TL-SG3452  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.4 Build 20220708 Rel.53227

It appears there's no option to configure name servers through either the CLI or the web interface. Furthermore, the user manual and CLI reference don't mention any related name-server configurations. This is quite fundamental, especially when needing to resolve host names, such as when setting up RADIUS or NTP endpoints. Does your firmware not have an onboard DNS resolver?

Building Better Networks, Together.
Options
4 Reply
Re:DNS Resolver Functionality missing from Jetstream Firmware?
2023-09-14 01:42:38

Hi @PRONETIVITY 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

If you may, CLI guide, https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2022/202210/20221025/1910013256_TL-SG3428XMP_CLI.pdf

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re: How to set system-wide DNS servers?
2023-09-14 06:06:11

@Clive_A That's just for setting the hostname of the switch, which isn't related to my question.

How do I change the main DNS settings on the system? I want to use fully qualified domain names in the switch settings, instead of just IP addresses.

Here are some examples from other vendors, just for context:

JUNOS:

BROCADE:

VYOS:

Options
2023-09-14 06:55:06

Hi @PRONETIVITY 

Set up your DNS server then. The switch does not support local DNS server.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-09-14 07:57:47

@Clive_A 

My examples were client side, not server...

I am looking to configure a DNS client on the switch, so it can resolve host names.

Examples:

I find it hard to believe that the firmware has no DNS client onboard.

Having a DNS resolver is de facto standard.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 401

Replies: 4

Related Articles