mDNS crashing after 6-7 days?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-08-27 14:17:08
Tags: #mDNS
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi,

I seem to have an issue where the mDNS repeater crashes (or at least stops working) every 6-7 days, and I have to log in to the controller and toggle the service off and on again.

I'm using this to allow the mDNS from my Chromecast devices (on my Media VLAN) to reach my other VLANs, and I don't currently have any ACL rules blocking access to/from the Media VLAN.

Is this a known issue that's expected to be fixed by the 2.1.4 (what happened to 2.1.3?) firmware? I can't see anything in the logs about the issue, but then I'm also not sure how to access the raw log files.

Thanks.

Options
6 Reply
Re:mDNS crashing after 6-7 days?
2023-08-29 10:00:29

Hi @TalkiToaster 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

So, it works for 6-7 days and fails after that? There is a pattern in this failure? Do you have any ACL?

Can you Wireshark check if the mDNS is working or not? How to capture packets using Wireshark on SMB router or switch

I need more information about this.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-29 12:57:46

@TalkiToaster 

mDNS across VLAN's have always been flaky beyond any vendor I've ever used.   Especially casting to another device... 

I think it also depends on the casting device too.  My Samsung TV doesn't like casting across VLAN's, but my actual Chromecast Google Device doesn't mind it.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2023-08-29 13:45:06

@Clive_A I have some ACL, but none between the Media network and the Secure network.

I can try and capture some packets the next time it happens, but the link you've sent me doesn't seem like something I can action as my router (and switch, and everything) is managed by a controller, and I don't see any settings there for the port mirroring the documentation you linked mentions.

Options
2023-08-29 13:47:09

@KimcheeGUN In this case everything seems to vanish at the same time, so I don't think it's a vendor specific issue in this case, especially since everything comes back when I disable and re-enable the mDNS for Chromecast in the controller. One of the devices is also connected via ethernet, so it's not just flakey WiFi either.

Options
2023-08-30 06:04:22

Hi @TalkiToaster 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

TalkiToaster wrote

@Clive_A I have some ACL, but none between the Media network and the Secure network.

I can try and capture some packets the next time it happens, but the link you've sent me doesn't seem like something I can action as my router (and switch, and everything) is managed by a controller, and I don't see any settings there for the port mirroring the documentation you linked mentions.

Same for the router or switch. You have the option to mirror.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-31 08:23:21 - last edited 2023-08-31 08:23:40

Hi @TalkiToaster 

For extra reference, Troubleshooting - mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 643

Replies: 6

Tags

Related Articles