Port mirroring on TL-SG3428x switch managed via Omada SDN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-10 18:39:01 - last edited 2023-07-19 06:07:30
Tags: #Configuration #Port Mirroring
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.11 Build 20230227 Rel.74042

Hello,

I am working to better understand IT security principles, and indeed tcp/ip in general through making use of various tools.  One of these can monitor traffic through being connected to a port which is a 'mirror' of another port on the same switch.  This is not a new concept, being able to 'tap' ports and monitor traffic in this way has been a common feature on managed network switches for many years.

From experience with older switches from TP-Link I know that the web interface supports this, and there are a number of examples to be found on various sites - however there is little or no mention of performing this feat on switches managed via Omada SDNk except for one intriguing example of a TL-SG2008 which is not available on Omada looking at another switch of mine which IS that model through Omada.

Am I missing a major feature which is hiding from me, or does Omada not support this (any more)?

Suggestions please, as they say, on a port card to....

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Port mirroring on TL-SG3428x switch managed via Omada SDN-Solution
2023-07-11 06:09:01 - last edited 2023-07-19 06:07:30

Hi @ajb54321 

On the Devices tab, click your switch and check the window on the right, select a port and edit the port. Then you can find this page below. There you can set and mirror a port.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Port mirroring on TL-SG3428x switch managed via Omada SDN-Solution
2023-07-11 06:09:01 - last edited 2023-07-19 06:07:30

Hi @ajb54321 

On the Devices tab, click your switch and check the window on the right, select a port and edit the port. Then you can find this page below. There you can set and mirror a port.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Port mirroring on TL-SG3428x switch managed via Omada SDN
2023-07-19 09:51:05

@Clive_A You would not believe how many iterations of edit port I went through, and not one came anywhere near showing that panel!

Thanks for setting me right.  Now, if only the copy/click gremlins don't mess this up I should be golden!

Options
Re:Port mirroring on TL-SG3428x switch managed via Omada SDN
2023-07-20 01:00:05 - last edited 2023-07-20 01:11:41

Hi @ajb54321 

You can do a batch config if the settings for them are the same. Refer to the picture below.

If you find a setting on the panel, then it is a generic setting and it can be exported as a backup. But to a single device, the settings are unique and personalized.

The controller backup doesn't back up the personal info in the Client tab and customized config to a device. If you want to make everything, make sure you back up the whole folder which contains the personalized information.

Options