Does Omada Need to Run Continuously and Can It Run On Two Computers?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-23 15:08:45 - last edited 2023-05-24 15:31:21
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello Folks,

I am setting up a church with a proper wireless network which consists of two SG2 8 port switches, four 5 port unmanaged switches, and 7 Omada supported AP's.

I was going to use the Omada software version to configure everything, then take my laptop and go home.  Then I read that Omada should always be left running.

Question 1:  Does Omada actually need to be running all the time?  What functionality do I lose if it is not running?

Question 2:  If it does need to be running can I install the software on two computers?  I'd install it on my laptop to handle the intital setup and configuration, and I'd install it on one of the church laptops that would at least be powered on during church business hours.  Is my assumption correct that both computers, when connected, would end up scanning and recognizing all attached devices (capable of being detected)?

Thank you.  Your views are greatly appreciated.

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Does Omada Need to Run Continuously and Can It Run On Two Computers?-Solution
2023-05-23 16:10:47 - last edited 2023-05-24 15:31:21

@EagleHeart 

Question 1:  Does Omada actually need to be running all the time?  What functionality do I lose if it is not running?

The answer is both NO and YES..   No technically you can shut down the laptop and it will continue to work for basic WiFi.    HOWEVER... YES it does need to be running all the time to control the roaming and handover between APs, the portal access if you use it and other management things, as said its basic connection only when offline (no roaming, band steering or other niceties).   It will also reboot ALL the managed devices when it comes back online, as they will drop clients to reconfigure any updates on the controller list since it was last online.

Being totally honest, if you have 2 managed switches and 7 APs, this should be on all the time.  It will cause you more headache otherwise.   Consider an OC200 as its cheap and perfect for what you need.

Question 2:  If it does need to be running can I install the software on two computers?  I'd install it on my laptop to handle the intital setup and configuration, and I'd install it on one of the church laptops that would at least be powered on during church business hours.  Is my assumption correct that both computers, when connected, would end up scanning and recognizing all attached devices (capable of being detected)?

Never tried this to be honest, but my gut feeling is NO it wont work.   I would imagine the security would identify that the unique ID of each controller is different and stop one from managing it.   The devices will only talk to one controller with a very specific ID, even if you restore a backup it will migrate you to the new "online" controller ID, but break the old one.   You would be in an endless cycle of backup / restore / migrate, I would recommend against this. 

Honestly, for £50 / € 60 just get an OC200 for the church and save yourself a LOT of headache.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Does Omada Need to Run Continuously and Can It Run On Two Computers?-Solution
2023-05-24 00:06:13 - last edited 2023-05-24 15:31:28

@Philbert is correct.  The OC200 is probably easiest, but you can also buy a cloud controller license.  Either way you would be able to remotely access the controller to check status or make changes or whatever.  I actually use mine as a power outage notifier for some remote sites :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2023-05-23 16:10:47 - last edited 2023-05-24 15:31:21

@EagleHeart 

The answer is both NO and YES..   No technically you can shut down the laptop and it will continue to work for basic WiFi.    HOWEVER... YES it does need to be running all the time to control the roaming and handover between APs, the portal access if you use it and other management things, as said its basic connection only when offline (no roaming, band steering or other niceties).   It will also reboot ALL the managed devices when it comes back online, as they will drop clients to reconfigure any updates on the controller list since it was last online.

Being totally honest, if you have 2 managed switches and 7 APs, this should be on all the time.  It will cause you more headache otherwise.   Consider an OC200 as its cheap and perfect for what you need.

Never tried this to be honest, but my gut feeling is NO it wont work.   I would imagine the security would identify that the unique ID of each controller is different and stop one from managing it.   The devices will only talk to one controller with a very specific ID, even if you restore a backup it will migrate you to the new "online" controller ID, but break the old one.   You would be in an endless cycle of backup / restore / migrate, I would recommend against this. 

Honestly, for £50 / € 60 just get an OC200 for the church and save yourself a LOT of headache.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-05-24 00:06:13 - last edited 2023-05-24 15:31:28

@Philbert is correct.  The OC200 is probably easiest, but you can also buy a cloud controller license.  Either way you would be able to remotely access the controller to check status or make changes or whatever.  I actually use mine as a power outage notifier for some remote sites :)

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Does Omada Need to Run Continuously and Can It Run On Two Computers?
2023-05-24 15:31:05

@EagleHeart Thank you to both of you.  The OC200 it is, especially with free remote cloud access. One of the big problems with charity projects like this is getting disentangled from the setup and to hand it over to someone operationally.

Cheers.

Retired infrastructure project manager, now being roped into various volunteer projects.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 879

Replies: 3

Related Articles