Moving EAP670 to Non-PoE Power On OC200 Controller?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-20 01:35:29
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So I have an outlet in the ceiling of my garage (powers the garage door opener) so I decided to mount my EAP via the included power adapter.

I saw the default SSID's for 5gz and 2.4ghz but for whatever reason couldn't connect to these via my phone. It just wouldn't get an IP or allow me to add the EAP670 through the Omada mobile app.

So I connected it with an ethernet cable over PoE, got it connected and fully configured with my OC200.

I moved it back to just power alone and it simply disconnects.

Is it 100% required I would expect to have the access point connected via ethernet for full functionality?

Still learning how all this works.

My EAP 235's are only able to be powered with PoE so never had an option of AC power with those. 

I can run a cable to the location I want it for PoE but was hoping that wouldn't have to be the case.

Is all the AC power doing is give power to the device and giving me the ability to connect Ethernet to the EAP 670 that does not require a PoE connection to the device?

Hope I'm making sense here. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Moving EAP670 to Non-PoE Power On OC200 Controller?
2023-04-20 02:01:10

@Aehs01 

Unless you have a mesh design in mind, you MUST cable up your AP.  If you just apply power, yes it will broadcast SSID, but it won't go anywhere.

The EAP610 supports wireless mesh, so if you have another AP that IS cabled and it also supports mesh and the AP in your garage can 'see' it, then you can use the 5.8G channel to connect the power-only AP in the garage back to your network via the cabled AP.  You also need an Omada Controller for this to work, either software or an OC200/300

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-20 02:15:45

@d0ugmac1 I planned on adding another EAP 670 into my house. Could I just mesh from the house to this unit? I'm not sure if it will reach as it's quite far, likely 300+ feet. 

Options
2023-04-20 11:26:40

@Aehs01 Unlikely that an AP mounted inside the house will make it through the house envelope, across 300' and then through the garage envelope.  That would likely be difficult even for an EAP610-outdoor AP mounted on the wall of the house facing a similarly mounted unit on the wall of the garage, with an unobstructed path between them.  Suggest you look at a dedicated point-point product like the CPE510 or similar as its likely farther than you can even go with a run of ethernet (you'd have to do fibre).

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-07-15 21:31:50

@Aehs01 

It seems like you're experiencing connectivity issues with your EAP670 outlet on yout Garage Door access point. Connecting it via Ethernet over PoE provides full functionality, but if you want to use AC power alone, it may result in disconnections. AC power mainly supplies power to the device and allows you to connect Ethernet without requiring a PoE connection. Running a cable for PoE might be necessary for optimal performance. Keep exploring and learning about the setup process. Good luck!

Options
2023-07-17 09:43:31 - last edited 2023-07-17 10:05:43

@Aehs01 what @d0ugmac1 said. 

"Is it 100% required I would expect to have the access point connected via ethernet for full functionality?"

If it is in standalone mode then YES. If you make it part of a MESH then NO.

"Is all the AC power doing is give power to the device and giving me the ability to connect Ethernet to the EAP 670 that does not require a PoE connection to the device?"

Yes, all it does it supply power to the device. You can either add it to a MESH network as is, or you can run an ethernet cable directly to a switch or router to connect it to the network without the need of POE.

You mentioned your other EAP 235s. Not sure which version / model you have but if any of the APs is closer to the garage than your modem or router, you could potentially tap into one of them to shorten the ethernet run. The EAP235 Wall has a POE pass-through. I think the EAP235 just has a secondary ethernet port. I believe you could connect each one as shown below. I know you said you prefer not running a cable but this may be a shorter and easier run then going all the way to the modem / router.

EAP 670 --ethernet-- POE Pass-through Port on EAP235 Wall  (Power by POE to the EAP 670 and connectivity to the network over the ethernet you run)

EAP 670 --ethernet-- Secondary ethernet port on EAP235 (Power by AC adapter and connectivity to the network via ethernet you run)

|

AC Adapter

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 837

Replies: 5

Related Articles