Problem with SG-2210MP PoE

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-25 20:13:18

Hi!

In our video surveillance system we replaced a faulty PoE switch with the SG-2210MP.

It seems to give no PoE. I tried to configure the PoE active (is it active with factory default?) but there is no PoE.

The push button of the front panel shows momentarily PoE status (On/Off). The leds are always dark, no PoE.

Is there something that I'm missing?

Best regards

Harri

Options
10 Reply
Re:Problem with SG-2210MP PoE
2022-11-26 11:26:09 - last edited 2022-11-26 11:53:28

@Harri_SG2210 

Can you provide a picture of your Port Status screen from interface? Will look similar to image below. 

Also what is the make & model of your old POE Switch? 

As I recall I just plugged my devices in and they worked. There was no need to enable anything that I can recall.

305a167df6c242b895fd2c04f38722a1

Options
2022-11-26 22:58:04

@Harri_SG2210 Check that your POE cameras are 802.3af/at compatible (if your not sure, post the camera brand and model number here).  Not all POE cameras are 802.3af/at, some use passive POE which is an always hot POE system, while 802.3af/at is a negotiated system that does not turn on the power until the device says it's safe.  The SG2210MP does not do passive POE, and cannot force power over the line without the camera saying it is acceptable.

Options
2022-11-27 09:17:25

@Harri_SG2210 

Thanks for replies!

* The cameras are active PoE cameras ie. powered with 24 V (!) from the switch.

* I measured the voltage from corresponding pins of SG2210 with a DVM. No voltage as indicated by the LEDs of the front panel.

* The replaced switch was ToughSwitch PoE Pro. It died and it is not available anymore.

* The SG2210 IP address had to be changed because the TouchSwitch IP was 192.168.1.200. The SG2210 IP is 192.168.0.1. The PC software uses x.x.1.x addresses and the cameras have fixed x.x.1.x addresses. 

* I took a screenshot of PoE status. It is different from what you see. It is in two parts due to screen width but readable. What worries me is the last column "Disable". This is the link to PDF:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tZrjfTxVbbp4_TqFCIa81t_GtP9nD7tk/view?usp=share_link

Thanks

Harri

Options
2022-11-27 10:29:47 - last edited 2022-11-27 10:37:22

Harri_SG2210 wrote

* The cameras are active PoE cameras ie. powered with 24 V (!) from the switch.  

* I measured the voltage from corresponding pins of SG2210 with a DVM. No voltage as indicated by the LEDs of the front panel.

* The replaced switch was ToughSwitch PoE Pro. It died and it is not available anymore.

Please post brand and model of cameras and post the actual  Model # of the ToughSwitch PoE Pro.

I looked up a Ubiquiti ToughSwitch PoE Pro and it was Passive PoE. Technically your cameras should not have worked with that switch if they are actually Active PoE.

You state the cameras are 24v so I am guessing they are Passive PoE, which explains why they worked with the Ubiquiti ToughSwitch, which appears to be 24/48v configurable Passive PoE.

As far as checking voltage at the Tplink pins, it is Active PoE. Voltage is only present / delivered, if there is a compatible Active PoE device connected.

Options
2022-12-04 13:23:09

@Harri_SG2210 

Sorry for a long delay in my reply.

The exact model of the old switch is: Ubiquiti ToughSwitch TS-8-PRO. Its manual states that it is: "8-port managed switch featuring 24V or 48V PoE.

I can't tell the model of the cameras. For some reason the documents of the system do not specify the camera type and they are not easily accessible for checking.

However, the only cable connection to the cameras is the Ethernet cable, no external PSU. I think that they cannot communicate with the switch without getting PoE from the very start. 

I do not know whether or not the ToughSwitch gave the 24 V continuously (as long as it worked ok nobody paid attention to it!). I asked the original supplier of our CCTV whether or not their software communicates with the switch with some protocol etc. They told that the software does not see the switch itself or give any commands to it. Of course the IP addresses of the switch, PC and cameras has to be correct.

My theory is that the SG-2210MP does not give the 24 V out without setting it up the correct way. I can reliably connect to the SG-2210. Is there any way to give the 24V continuosly?

Thanks for help and understanding attitude!

Harri

Options
2022-12-04 13:49:05 - last edited 2022-12-04 14:04:18

@Harri_SG2210

​​​​​​​The Ubiquiti ToughSwitch TS-8-PRO is a Passive POE Switch and therefore, since your cameras worked on that switch, they are also Passive POE.

Line from ToughSwitch Specs...

"Each port on this 8 Port Passive PoE Switch can be individually configured to provide PoE, so that both PoE and non-PoE devices can be connected."

The TPlink SG-2210MP is Active POE. There is a handshake that takes place between the devices and the SG-2210MP. The SG-2210MP then delivers power if the device is an Active POE device. If there is no Active POE Device, there is no handshake, and it will not deliver power.

The only work around for this, if you want to keep the TPlink Switch, is an Active PoE to Passive PoE Converter or cameras that support Active POE.

Options
2022-12-04 19:14:06
Thanks again! I did not understand the difference between passive and active PoE until You explained it. I did some late homework and read more of the topics. Got it! What I do not understand is how can an active PoE communicate with the device if the device is not powered from the start. Obviously some low voltage is supplied in the starting phase. Anyway, I do not have to know all protocol details. So: If I want to keep the SG-2210MP I need to inject power to the cameras. There are many such products on the market. So the cameras will get their 24 V from the very start. SG-2210 will not supply power but is does not need to. Is this the way to go? Thanks again! Harri
Options
2022-12-05 08:12:24

@Harri_SG2210 Yes, the easy way to go, is to buy some POE passive injectors.  Since you don't know which voltage the cameras are start by getting one injector that that is 24V and a second one that is 48V.  Try the 24V first, if the cameras don't work, switch to the 48V one, this will reduce the chances of frying the cameras.

FYI on the active POE protocol (standard IEEE 802.3af/at/bt), the switch sends out a low level 5V on all ports all the time.  When a cable is connected to the device, and the device is an active POE device, there will be a specific resistor across the 5V that will tell the switch there should be POE.  The switch will up the voltage to 12V to power up the device's NIC, this will allow for negotiation of which POE level (af, at, or bt) and if the voltage needs to be adjusted due to cable length.  Once the device confirms minimum needed power, the switch will bump up to full voltage and monitor the current to be within limits.  If the current is too high for the standard claimed, the switch will assume a fault in the device or cable, and turn off the POE power.

Options
2022-12-05 09:19:43

@Harri_SG2210 

Thanks again!

The missing piece of information was the continuous 5 V as a seed voltage for the PoE device. It has to get something to start with and the preliminary 5 V is the key.

Now I know how to proceed with this. The PoE injectors are not expensive. I might even buy a 1-channel device for testing. Takes just the coins that happen to be in the pocket.

Best regards

Harri

Options
2022-12-31 07:48:45
Just reporting: I finally got external PoE power supply connected between the SG-2210 and the CCTV cameras. For the first time in three years (nobody didn't even try to fix the system) the software recognized the cameras. The analysis of passive PoE was exactly correct. I've learned a lot from this. Thanks and a happy new year! Harri
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 735

Replies: 10

Related Articles