what poe switch can i used for eap series outdoor aps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-21 15:59:41
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

i have multiple eap110, eap225 and eap610 all outdoor version. what tplink poe sitch can i used with 16 ports poe.

Options
4 Reply
Re:what poe switch can i used for eap series outdoor aps
2022-11-21 20:25:10

@Johnely 

here is an overview of the omada switches.

https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/all-omada/#omada-switch

TL-SG2428P is a cheap and good switch with 250W poe budget.

Options
2022-11-21 20:26:05

@Johnely 

Hey

If you are after a controller-managed switch for adoption onto an Omada network, depending on your POE budget requirements the TL-SG2428P (250watt POE) is an option.   If you require more POE power, then look at the bigger RL-SG3428MP which has a 380watt budget

Options
2023-02-11 17:08:46

@Johnely   There is a lot of information in the community support on EAP225, passive PoE and active PoE per 802.3 at/af.  This is a summary for all based on my experience...

The EAP225 and EAP225 OUTDOOR are passive PoE only.  Will not work with an active PoE switch, unless it specifically supports passive too. 

Yes, the EAP225 box states:  "802.3af/at and Passive PoE compatible".   This is the source of all the confusion! 

NO!  It is not 802.3af/at compatible.  It is only passive PoE.  While it works at 24V, I can't say if it will work at 48V passive.  Try it with an EAP245 power source?  

I bought a TP-LINK TL-SG2008P switch.  It has 4 PoE ports.  Seems perfect to power some EAP225.  Doesn't work.  No signs of life from the EAP's.  No device is detected in the port.    I could not find any menu item through Omada to turn on a passive mode.   All devices and the OC200 are latest firmware.  TP-LINK's own Omada SDN compatible switches don't seem compatible with their passive PoE product. 

For indoors, you can have 802.3at/af compatibility with EAP245.  These work fine plugged into the TL-SG2008P.   

For outdoors, either continue to use the Passive adapters, some have posted alternate PoE switches that are compatible with EAP225, or look at the new EAP610-Outdoor which claims both PoE+ or passive compatible (I didn't test it).  Seems we can't trust the specifications or what is written on the box for this issue.  

Good luck. 

Options
2023-02-11 17:21:47

@RF_Dude 

I bought a TP-LINK TL-SG2008P switch.  It has 4 PoE ports.  Seems perfect to power some EAP225.  Doesn't work.  No signs of life from the EAP's.

This is completely false, the EAP225 does work with the TL-SG2008P using 802.af.   I have used this setup many times and this specific hardware is the default for most of my customers.   Its even included on the specification on the website as screenshot below

Perhaps you have been unlucky and got a faulty switch? 

Options