EAP660 HD any advantage over EAP245 in terms of range and for AC devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-24 12:56:52
Model: EAP660 HD  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi

Is there any advantages of use EAP660 HD instead of EAP245 v3 in terms of range/coverage and for devices that are not AX yet ?

I understand it would be future proof, but it is not necessarily what I'm looking for right now.

Thanks

Options
3 Reply
Re:EAP660 HD any advantage over EAP245 in terms of range and for AC devices
2022-05-24 22:22:52 - last edited 2022-05-24 22:24:34

@AndreMartins 

Hey

Installed these for a few customers and in my experience the EAP6xx range don't offer any real range or coverage benefits, not un-expected as ultimately its all down to the airspace regardless of AP.   The antenna on the 6xx range are similar in gain and power to the 2xx range and therefore 'coverage' is very similar.   If you have AX clients the speed over WiFi can be considerably faster if that's your aim.

In answer to your question about non AX devices, again not really if honest!   The additional spatial spaces, QAM and modulation changes are only appropriate if you are running a chipset that supports them, which most AC cards don't.  Even in the AX chipsets its a mixed bag of support

Im in the same boat, I have 3x 245 in the house and starting to get more WiFi6 devices on the network as time progresses.  At the moment I personally don't feel I have enough to justify changing and would rather wait another 6-12months for WiFi6E APs to be released as the 6ghz spectrum would offer a much more appealing upgrade / makes better ££ sense

Options
2022-05-24 22:24:24

@AndreMartins 

I don't see any technical advantage if you aren't taking advantage of WiFi6 (AX).  Practically, I believe it's quite a bit smaller and less obtrusive from a physical sense.

Is it worth the extra money to you, given what you are feeding your APs with, and what your clients are doing with it?  I decided not, and have stuck with the AC units.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2022-05-25 08:30:49

@AndreMartins 

I agree with Philbert and d0ugmac1, and wanna add a little extra info:

EAP660 HD, HD means High-Density Connectivity: 4× increased capacity to connect more devices simultaneously.

This means that compared to the EAP245, the EAP660 can handle more clients, if your network has a large number of clients need to connect, then this aspect of the 660 may be more advantageous.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options