Prevent Roaming for Certain Devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-11-22 03:45:07 - last edited 2021-11-22 03:47:54
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.5

I have two EAPs that are on different floors but not totally on opposite ends so they do overlap.  

What I'm seeing is couple streaming devices that are close to both APs are constantly flipping between the APs, I've also adjusted Tx Power but cannot go lower as it would reduce the wifi range. I've went as far as creating a separate 5GHz SSID on each AP so these devices only connects to a single AP that is physically closest and have no chance to roam. 

I also have 2 troublesome IoT devices on 2.4GHz that also flip between the APs, which i wouldn't mind but the devices become unresponsive in the app and requires me to "reconnect" from Omada. I could create yet another separate SSID on a single AP just for these IoT devices but had hoped Omada would be smart enough to "roam" but not continuously or back and forth mutiple times in a span of 1 minute.

Are there better options besides separate SSID on a single AP?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Prevent Roaming for Certain Devices
2021-11-24 03:20:02

@johnsnow88 

Oh, me again.

Actually if you have the omada controller, you can set the fast roaming for these EAP on the controller.

Maybe will more better to roaming among devices.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2021-11-26 01:50:06

@Virgo 

Fast Roaming, AI Roaming, Dual Band 11k report all enabled and do not make the APs any smarter.

Options
2021-11-29 10:01:49

@johnsnow88 

These functions mentioned above require the Controller to be running 24/7 if you want to enjoy their benefits. 

There are some advanced settings on the EAP that can kick out the weak signal clients to switch. RSSI threshold. 

Device >> Click your AP >> Config >> Advanced >>RSSI Threshold. Specify your signal strength. When it comes to that threshold, it will kick out this client.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 735

Replies: 3

Related Articles