Votes

[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?

Votes

[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?

119 Reply
Re:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-11 21:29:59

@Clive_A I can confirm that on my Edgerouter 4 it is possible to configure the DHCP option 60 on the WAN interface.

Options
RE:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-14 02:02:38

Hi @MaxxFR 

'cause we need to know what our competitors do. And then I can gather info from the forum and push this feature. This feature was not implemented as we don't have many details on how our competitor does. From the surface, they seem to not implement this. But now I found out that UBNT has implemented this. That would be helpful. 

But hard finding docs from Cisco and Mikrotik. Some related threads on Google but mostly related to the LAN DHCP option. Some do link to the WAN interface, but not seeing any official docs from them. 

Would appreciate it if you can provide some insights.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
RE:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-14 22:39:34

Hi @Clive_A 

Yes its not easy to find détails of configuration. But if your developers team need some example code open source we can find maybe some informations with OpenWRT, DD WRT, OPNsense or Pfsense. 

I just find this for Mikrotik: (sorry this thread is in french)

https://lafibre.info/remplacer-sfr/mikrotik-34744/

And i find a programmation for Cisco router: (in french too)

https://lafibre.info/cisco/remplacer-la-box-sfr-par-un-routeur-cisco/

If your developers team need some example code open source we can find maybe some informations with OpenWRT, DD WRT, OPNsense or Pfsense. 

Please let me know if i can help you annd your team

Best regard

Options
2023-08-15 00:53:49

Hi @MaxxFR 

MaxxFR wrote

Hi @Clive_A 

Yes its not easy to find détails of configuration. But if your developers team need some example code open source we can find maybe some informations with OpenWRT, DD WRT, OPNsense or Pfsense. 

I just find this for Mikrotik: (sorry this thread is in french)

https://lafibre.info/remplacer-sfr/mikrotik-34744/

And i find a programmation for Cisco router: (in french too)

https://lafibre.info/cisco/remplacer-la-box-sfr-par-un-routeur-cisco/

If your developers team need some example code open source we can find maybe some informations with OpenWRT, DD WRT, OPNsense or Pfsense. 

Please let me know if i can help you annd your team

Best regard

The baseline is that we do not refer to open-source firmware and we don't have an interest in comparing with them. We're more into how our competitor does.

The request for this feature has been sent to the dev for further evaluation.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-08-15 06:15:57

Hi @Clive_A 

Thanks

I know but comparaison is not right wink

Open source firmware is a good thing to understand how the functionality do the job. That's all.

That's a good new if the request as been sent for evaluation. Do you know when we can have a reply (accepted or declined) about the request ?

Can you change the statuts of this thread ? 

Thanks for all

Best regard

Options
2023-08-17 06:14:57

Hi @MaxxFR 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

The request has passed the evaluation phase. However, I'm unable to provide information regarding its implementation date, roadmap, supported models, and other relevant details at this time.

If you're keen on staying updated, I recommend keeping an eye on the firmware release thread in the forum and subscribing to it. Alternatively, you can also find firmware-related information on our official website.

Options
2023-08-17 06:29:45

Hi  @Clive_A 

Thanks to you for go up this request.

I understand thanks.

Maybe we can find a thread with the details of the request statuts (under consideration, future consideration, accepted, implemented,...) ? 

I hope find this option soon to integrate more omada solution in the future 

Thanks again

Options
2023-08-17 07:51:57

Hi @MaxxFR 

Thanks for posting in our business forum. See the pinned thread of this section.

[READ ME] How to Submit Requests & Suggestions Effectively

Options
Re:[ER-7206] Is it possible to add an option 60 parameter to DHCP requests on WAN interfaces?
2023-08-29 12:41:49

@Clive_A 

Hello,

It seems that everything has been said by the other members of this forum.

Obviously, Ubiquity is a big challenger of Omada system, and they have the WAN option 60. Cisco has it too as you can see on this forum that treat the question (https://lafibre.info/cisco/remplacer-la-box-sfr-par-un-routeur-cisco/).

Even if you don't see them as competitor, netgear, synology, asus and even open source router as openwrt has it too.

By the way, I don't think you should neglect smb and home user brands, because they represents a lot of your clients for omada solution even if it was not your original target, so it's much business anyway. Secondly, not having a specification on your router that even a home user brand is able to provide will give you a poor reputation regarding your development capability, and it will impact indirectly your B2B business.

So I'm glad to see you considerate this request, I hope it will have a happy ending (you have much more to win than I have ;-) )

Options
2023-08-30 01:37:20

Hi @Adrimama 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Adrimama wrote

@Clive_A 

By the way, I don't think you should neglect smb and home user brands, because they represents a lot of your clients for omada solution even if it was not your original target, so it's much business anyway. Secondly, not having a specification on your router that even a home user brand is able to provide will give you a poor reputation regarding your development capability, and it will impact indirectly your B2B business.

So I'm glad to see you considerate this request, I hope it will have a happy ending (you have much more to win than I have ;-) )

I am not the decision maker so what I can do is gather information and present it to the decision maker.

I am gonna say that behind the scenes, we actually have many bidding contracts, business environments or government, and some customized features or firmware, and we bring some features out of the customized available to the official release. I don't deny there is a large proportion of clients from home use. But it does not outweigh the contract's priority if you consider this in our shoes. Our main focus and energy would be making sure the contracts go well and then consider backward support for some features asked by the home users.

Regarding the "poor reputation", actually the contracts will have dedicated personnel from the regional company, and followed up closely by the dev team providing some more detailed information or documents that are not public. You know, NDA, so this information or document can be presented to them. I would say, in my opinion, that does not hurt that much if you consider the price tag and customized service if a contract is made.

About the requests, we take them seriously. But as I said in the beginning, I am not the decision-maker but I am reporting it and pushing it every time there is feedback. Not sure if you ever read other posts my colleagues or I replied. Evaluation phase. It evaluates its priority and necessity.

Also, in the future, we will bring the Omada Pro(planned) to the market and separate some targeted users with this solution.

It's under consideration after I reported it from others' information that UBNT supports. I know most users requesting this feature are from Europe, but thanks for the link.

I think I don't have to explain any further and I've already shared some information that seems to be sensitive.

Have a good one!

Options

Voters 44

+ 40 Voters