TL-R480T+ freezing and balancing badly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-07 14:27:19 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:50:20
Model: TL-R480T+  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version: 9.0.3 Build 20200313 Rel.38262

I chose this router just because of the load-balancing feature. I have a fast primary connection and a backup (slow) VDSL – just because the main line has problems and goes offline too often, couple of times a week.

1. Originally, I wanted to use both lines simultaneously with a simple load balancing. But this turned out useless. The problem is, if an application starts using a WAN connection, it keeps it like forever. The most used device is AppleTV – and it happened several times, it get hooked to the slow WAN and get stuck with it. It won't switch to the fast line anymore, but the slow one is sometimes too slow for the online video streams. Q: Did I do something wrong with the setup? Can I set it up to avoid that and let devices on LAN to use the best available WAN connection, and not to keep using to the worse one?

2. So I changed it to the backup mode. The slow WAN is normally disconnected, offline (while the VDSL modem is on all the time) and when the main connection is lost, the router should connect WAN2 and switch to it. But it doesn't work always. Sometimes everything seems OK, but the WAN1 is offline, the tab "Online detection" shows it's offline, and the router doesn't switch to the backup WAN2. Also sometimes the router kind of freezes, I can't open it's web interface, or it's iresponsible, refusing conncetion, or it's slow, or behaves weird… All these situations have the only solution I know: turn it off and on again. Q: Can I set the router to reboot periodically? Plan B is to use a timer outlet to switch it off and on like every morning – but I'd prefer the software way.

Options
1 Reply
Re:TL-R480T+ freezing and balancing badly
2020-10-12 03:01:38 - last edited 2021-04-18 10:50:20

@PetrS 

Q: Did I do something wrong with the setup? Can I set it up to avoid that and let devices on LAN to use the best available WAN connection, and not to keep using to the worse one?

Not sure what you have configured on the router. But upon your description, you may try setting up Policy Routing to make the AppleTV go for the fast WAN at priority.

Q: Can I set the router to reboot periodically? Plan B is to use a timer outlet to switch it off and on like every morning – but I'd prefer the software way.

This router doesn't support reboot scheduler unfortunately.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1278

Replies: 1

Related Articles