Extend weak signal from portable wifi device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-22 01:15:20
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Can I use the EAP110 Outdoor to extend the signal from a portable device that uses wifi to connect to my laptop or tablet?

The Link device is a battery operated link that transfers radio telemetry from another device to my laptop or tablet via a wifi connection. I connect to the Link via its wifi service and my software can read the telemetry from the remote device without having a radio receiver of its own. But the link range is awful and I can't carry it around with me when I'm working. So i need to make its signal stronger when working around my vehicle (so extender needs to be 12v powered).

If not the EAP110, what would be a good option?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Extend weak signal from portable wifi device
2020-07-22 16:35:28

Hi @qlddrones,

Possibly.

Let's say you have an "oven/grill," for the sake of clarify, that has a local temperature sensor.  You say that this sensor sends it's termperature telemetry to your laptop over Wifi?  Are you sure it is really wifi?  And not some other networking technology -- e.g. Zigbee, Z-wave BlueTooth, NFC, etc.?

Let's say it is Wifi.  Could you describe the device itself (sending the telemetry).  Does it have internal or external anttena?  Can you remove the antenna and install better antennas?  Does it have an Ethernet connection?

Generally speaking, where is your laptop?  Is there another, pre-existing "house" wifi network?  

Ideally, the remote telemetry monitor would connect to your house Wifi, as would your laptop.  Then these devices would communicate indirectly by way of the more powerful house Wifi System.

If this is not possible, then there are two other alternatives:

1) Use a larger external Wifi adapter for your laptop.  Like an external USB or Ethernet connected Wifi adapter with bigger and better antennas.  The goal here is to improve the sensitivity of your laptop to receive the telemetry device signals AS IS.

2) You'd need to "relay" the Wifi signal from your telemetry device to your laptop.  Assuming both the Telemetry device and your laptop could join the wireless network hosted by the 110-OD or 225-OD as clients, and where configured to use the same IP address subnet for this connection, then, YES, the should be able to talk to one another.

The OD unit would be placed more or less equidistant between the telemetry device(s) and your laptop for optimial effect.  Perhaps slightly closer to the telemetry devices if their signals are week.

I'm not aware of a 12V to PoE adapter.  You will likely have to convert 12V DV to 120V AC (assuming you are USA) and then use a midspan power injector or PoE switch to power the OD unit.

-Jonathan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 414

Replies: 1

Related Articles