Intermittent network connectivity issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Intermittent network connectivity issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
11 Reply
Re:Intermittent network connectivity issues
2020-04-29 13:05:04

Hello @219sycamore,

What TP-Link equipment did you just buy?  Can you describe, briefly, how it's wired, and what settings you're using (channels, BW, power, # SSID's, etc.).

I have many Apple devices on my network (Fios Gigabit, 2xEAP225, OC200) from 3GS to 11 Pro and several iPad without any issues.  As well as many non-Apple devices -- I hit a high of 48 WiFi devices yesterday.

Some general recomendations to start:

1) If you have multiple EAP's, start with 1, hardwired to your router

2) use separate SSID's for 2.4 & 5.8GHz

3) use 20MHz for 2.4 and 20/40/80 for 5.8

4) use b/g/n for 2.4, and n/ac for 5.8

5) lower the AP transmit power to Medium

Use a tool like inSSIDER to check the RF landscape of your home -- to see which channels are crowded.  I'm not a big fan of Auto channel selection.  the AP's can also show you if the channel they are on is busy usng the Web config page (or in OC200).

I have seen Apple devices fail to log in to the network (tells you password is incorrect when you know it's right) if the channel is very busy.  But I've only seen this occur on the 2.4GHz radio (and not 5.8) and I've not seen this with the TP-Link EAPs.

-Jonathan

Options
Related Articles