HS105 Keep Falling off from network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

HS105 Keep Falling off from network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
25 Reply
Re:HS105 Keep Falling off from network
2017-12-07 02:01:18
If they're not flashing it's an app problem, it's probably struggling with your network configuration (not your fault). Easiest solution is probably to enable remote access and always change them via the TP Link cloud. Regaining local control is trickier, the most important step being to connect your phone to the same part of your network as the switches - usually that means to your 2.4GHz SSID.
Options
2017-12-08 05:18:44
Thanks Mike. It seems that my router has an issue with the devices and is kicking them off the network. Last night I connected them to a different (travel) router and they are still connected after 16hrs. I may have to tweak the setting on my regular router.
Options
Same problem with HS100
2017-12-30 19:48:43
I had HS100's attached to a Virgin Superhub 2ac and they never dropped off the network, were always accessible via Kasa and Alexa. Unfortunately Virgins router was beginning to struggle with so many connected devices so that is now in modem only mode and the router is now a Netgear R7000.

The HS100's now randomly drop off the network as the ARP table cache expires on the router (so I understand it). The router is doing what it is supposed to do. I have assigned the HS100's IP addresses as static in the hope that would cure the problem (and get over the default 1 day DHCP lease time on the R7000) but alas no. So if the router is doing what it's supposed to do it strikes me the TP-Link devices aren't taking this into consideration.

They have the latest firmware and they have been reset and reconnected multiple times to the same wifi network.

They are no more than 5 meters away from this new router.

No other phone/tablet/CCTV camera or smart device currently has this problem.

I notice even though the device is not listed in the router table as an attached device the plug does have a green light on, but is greyed out in the Kasa app and therefore cannot be controlled.

Nothing else is taking that devices static IP address. I have also tried various wifi channels.

If anyone does have a fix to this problem could you please post some instructions, or a good blurb about what you did? A fix is not "have you tried turning it off and on again", this is a workaround to a problem though I appreciate it's useful to understand what happens from a troubleshooting perspective. It seems this is happening to a lot of TP-link devices (results from a Google search).

Regards
Options
2018-01-03 06:03:58

RalfyM wrote

I had HS100's attached to a Virgin Superhub 2ac and they never dropped off the network, were always accessible via Kasa and Alexa. Unfortunately Virgins router was beginning to struggle with so many connected devices so that is now in modem only mode and the router is now a Netgear R7000.

The HS100's now randomly drop off the network as the ARP table cache expires on the router (so I understand it). The router is doing what it is supposed to do. I have assigned the HS100's IP addresses as static in the hope that would cure the problem (and get over the default 1 day DHCP lease time on the R7000) but alas no. So if the router is doing what it's supposed to do it strikes me the TP-Link devices aren't taking this into consideration.

They have the latest firmware and they have been reset and reconnected multiple times to the same wifi network.

They are no more than 5 meters away from this new router.

No other phone/tablet/CCTV camera or smart device currently has this problem.

I notice even though the device is not listed in the router table as an attached device the plug does have a green light on, but is greyed out in the Kasa app and therefore cannot be controlled.

Nothing else is taking that devices static IP address. I have also tried various wifi channels.

If anyone does have a fix to this problem could you please post some instructions, or a good blurb about what you did? A fix is not "have you tried turning it off and on again", this is a workaround to a problem though I appreciate it's useful to understand what happens from a troubleshooting perspective. It seems this is happening to a lot of TP-link devices (results from a Google search).

Regards

I have the exact router and experience the same issue. I tried a couple other routers that I had lying around and the plugs stayed connected.
Options
HS100. Same problem.
2018-01-04 06:15:42
I have the same problem with a HS100 unit. Every 2-3 days, the unit is unreachable with the Kasa App and the wifi and power leds are off. I have to unplug and plug again to solve the problem.
Options
2018-01-07 19:26:19
Since there was nothing forthcoming I decided to play around a bit more. It seems the HS100's are stable on the network and believe this should work for the HS105's. But this is going to be specific to the Netgear R7000 router. This is what I have set to keep these on the netwrok:

1. It seems they may be wireless channel specific so I've set the 2.4GHz channel to 5 and the mode up to 600Mbps. Also Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence is turned on.
2. I found I couldn't have two HS100's next to each other which may become a problem again.
3. QOS is turned on and their priority is set to high
4. They have been given static IP's
5. I am not combining 2.4Ghz and 5GHz channels in to one SSID

I can't say for sure which of the above combination make the difference, only that these are my settings. I hope these help someone.

Regards
Options
2018-01-10 05:01:16
SOLVED. Followed suggestion/hint that I read two days ago (this forum, I think; perhaps not this threat) and so far it's worked. My HS105 disappeared regularly. Could not access it via Google Mini nor via KASA app on Android smartphone. But when it was "there" two days ago, I made itsthen current IP assignment from the DHCP on my router permanent/fixed. There has been no problem since. HW 1 SW 1.5.1
Options
2018-01-11 16:52:17
Oh the irony. The morning after my last post above one of the switches dropped off the network. So while the situation seems to have improved it is by no means solved. However, the Nighthawk R7000 router I recently bought is looking more and more like the culprit. It is a terrible router, worse than the Virgin Hub2ac I have. Things seem to drop on and off the network all the time. So while there may be something TP-Link can do to remedy the situation I'm now taking my complaint to Netgear. One last thing I've done to try to aid the situation. On this router I restart the wireless at 05:00 every morning. So far, so good. All HS devices attached again.
Options
2018-05-14 23:06:49
Hello All, I have been using the TP-Link Smart WiFi LED Bulb's & TP-Link HS100 Wireless Smart Plug's for some time now with very little problems at all while using my ADSL2+ internet connection. But in the last few weeks I upgraded to a home wireless 4G internet service and I needed a router with a sim card slot, so I purchased the TP-Link Archer MR200 Router as it had favourable feedback online.

It didn't take long before I noticed some or all of my smart devices going offline sometimes 3-4 times a day and one that was only 90cm away from the router. I tried everything possible to make it work like resetting, relocating the router and even using WIFI extenders but nothing seemed to work. I even tried changing router settings like channels and channel width but still this didn't work. I called TP-Link tech support and after going through trouble shooting with them we agreed the router could be faulty and to return it for a replacement.

Not giving up I decided to do some more research to see why some people lose WIFI signals at home and I found this article:
https://www.howtogeek.com/171869/why-does-running-my-microwave-kill-my-wi-fi-connectivity/

I tried it out by resetting the Smart Devices and making sure they were all online and working, then ran the microwave oven for about 20 seconds and when finished I asked my Google Mini to turn off the kitchen light and surprise it was offline, and even the Google Mini was struggling to answer me. Please keep in mind this is a $800 microwave that's only 2-3 years old so it's not like it's leaking because of bad seals or rust etc.

I also read that one of the problems might be the smart devices IP address's changing and therefore disconnecting or losing the router connection, so I came across this too:
https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1112.html

First of all I went to my router settings and in my case as shown here https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1112.html (Advanced - Network - Lan Settings - Client list) I added all my Smart Bulbs, Smart Plugs and Google Mini's to the (Address Reservation) below my (Client List). This could be different if your using a different brand of router.

These settings are for a 2.4GHz Connection, Not 5Ghz as TP-Link smart devices don't work on a 5GHz band as stated on the box.

Next thing was (Advanced - Network - Internet)
PDP Type: IPv4 & IPv6
APN Type: Static
Most other settings in this area were default to my ISP

Next changes are:
(Wireless - Wireless Settings)
Security: WPA/WPA2 Personal
Version: WPA2-PSK "Not Auto"
Mode: 802.11n Only
Channel: 11 Article also suggests Channels 1 & 6, but I've only tested channel 11 so far https://www.howtogeek.com/171869/why-does-running-my-microwave-kill-my-wi-fi-connectivity/
Channel Width: 20MHz
Transmit Power: High

As from the time of this post it's been 24 hours since the changes and so far none of my smart devices have gone offline, even after running the microwave oven.
I hope this works for you and good luck.
Options
2018-05-17 22:11:48
UPDATE I have now tried the above settings for over 4 days and all is working okay again. None of the smart devices (2) Smart Plugs & (3) Smart Bulbs have lost connection since the above changes. After working out the microwave was causing the kitchen light to go offline, I did some more testing and have noticed the issue is now temporary after these settings. This light fitting is about 6 feet away and while the microwave is in use the light is offline, but around 20-30 seconds after the microwave turns off the light is available again. Before the above settings this light and others would stay permanently offline. So other than the kitchen light having a 30 second rest after heating up food, all smart devices are working fine and staying online.
Options
Related Articles