Smart plug strip control with smart wall switches?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-04 18:11:40

Sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered elsewhere.

I have low-voltage outside lights powered by transformers which are plugged into a wi-fi smart plug strip (KASA HS600 I think).

Is there a way to contol the plug strip with smart wall switches via wi-fi?

Although the app works great to turn the lights on and off, it'd be super to be able to turn them on and off with physical wall switches as well.

I guess my question is can the HS200 wall switches send a wi-fi signal to control the plug strip? Or do they only recieve a wifi signal to control the light they are physically connected to via house wiring?

If the latter, is there a way to control the smart plug strip with a physical switch?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Smart plug strip control with smart wall switches?
2024-03-04 23:34:01

Hey  @Tzed,

Unfortunately, there is no direct method of controlling a device via a Kasa wall switch, without the use of automations.

For your smart switches, you could set up a smart action that would look at the changes made to the switch - but that would be far from ideal as you would need to change the state of the light each time you wanted to toggle the devices.

You may consider looking at Tapo's Sub-Ghz line of devices, such as the S200D. These do not communicate over Wi-Fi and connect to a hub with a Sub-1 GHz frequency, allowing significant battery life and local communication with devices. If you sign into the Tapo app with the login used for the Kasa App, you will have the option to add your Kasa devices to the Tapo app, where you can create automations for both Tapo and Kasa devices.

Options
Re:Smart plug strip control with smart wall switches?
2024-03-05 16:34:37

@Riley_S Thanks so much for your response. I'll have to research that to understand exactly what you're saying but i think I get it. 

Options