HS210 with "old" style wiring

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-09-11 04:57:36
Model: Kasa HS210  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:

Have an older house that has a different wiring setup and trying to figure out how to properly wire the 3 way switches. Everything below is what I am assuming after some troubleshooting.

Switch 1 has 3 wires, 1 common and 2 transfer. There are no other wire connections present.

Switch 2 has cables coming in a 14/2 and a 14/3. The 14/2 has the common (hot confirmed by meter) and "neutral" with the hot connected directly to the hot of the 14/3. It doesn't connect to the switch. The "neutral" and 2 transfers are connected to the switch.

Inside the light (both switches control only 1 light) there is the hot, "neutral", and 2 other wires spliced together, but haven't confirmed what they are.

I followed the instructions and only wired the HS210 switch to the location of Switch 2, but ran into the following issues. When the light is on the switch itself does not have power/connection and will not work, but the old switch will still turn the light off. Once this happens power/connection returns to the switch and when I use it to turn the light on it goes into a cycle of turning the light on/off every second or so (can hear the click). During this the switch gains and loses power/connection so the only way to stop it is to use the old switch. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Options
1 Reply
Re:HS210 with "old" style wiring
2023-09-11 21:49:41

@TimoGlock,

I would honestly consult with an electrician on the setup, as it sounds like it is far from a standard wiring scheme. You may have all the wires present to allow your electrician to properly wire a three-way circuit so that it could be used with smart switches and be far easier to deal with in the future.

Try mapping out and drawing how your wires are running as it helps make sense of how everything is chained together. It sounds as though the order of your switches is non-conventional and either the light is between the two switches' wiring or you have a traveler wire that is not properly connected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 391

Replies: 1

Related Articles