Google Home Routine and Smart Bulb

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-26 18:12:47
Tags: #Routines
Model: Tapo L530E  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.10

I have added a L530E bulb to my home. The bulb works fine, and I can control it with the Google assistant. My issue is that any time I use a routine with the bulb, I get a verbal notification. If the bulb is off and I run a routine to say shut off all bulbs at bedtime, I get up to three verbal notifications that the bulb is already on or off. It is very annoying. None of my other smart lights, including Kasa bulbs and plugs, have this behavior. 

How can I disable this in the Tapo app?

Here is a link to another closed thread about the same exact issue. It was not resolved. https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/591150

Thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Google Home Routine and Smart Bulb
2023-07-27 18:24:20

@Bent_Wrench,

I will look into this a bit more, but for the most part - these voice notifications are controlled and managed by Google, but I am not sure why only one of your devices would cause this. I have Google Homes throughout my home, and it seems to me that changes are always being made to whether or not unavailable or offline devices will provide voice feedback.

In the meantime, my personal fix for the annoying sounds and notifications from my Google Hubs is to add two steps to the routine - 

One at the beginning to turn the voice assistant's volume down to a minimum, and then another after the routing to set the volume back to however you want.

Another potential workaround for now would be to use the SmartThings integration from TP-Link and then integrate SmartThings into Google Home. The response may change as a result of how the voice assistant interacts with the integration.

Options
2023-07-27 20:03:19

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the tip about turning the voice off and then on, I might try that work around, or the SmartThings, I have never heard of that.

I can pretty much guarantee the issue is with Tapo and not Google Home. I have looked at also the settings on both apps, and nothing helps. 

If the light is already on and I run the same or a different routine to turn it on, Google tells me three times in a row that it is already on. Only once if it is already off. 

Options
2023-07-29 16:35:36

@Bent_Wrench 

FYI for anyone else with trying this, setting the Google Assistant audio to Zero at the beginning of the routine and then re-enabling it at the end did not work, I can still here the "it's already on or off" repeating. 

So annoying.

Bent_Wrench wrote

@Riley_S 

Thanks for the tip about turning the voice off and then on, I might try that work around, or the SmartThings, I have never heard of that.

I can pretty much guarantee the issue is with Tapo and not Google Home. I have looked at also the settings on both apps, and nothing helps. 

If the light is already on and I run the same or a different routine to turn it on, Google tells me three times in a row that it is already on. Only once if it is already off. 

Options
2023-08-03 19:00:25

@Bent_Wrench,

I will have to mess with mine at home, to see what specifically should be added to the routine - I think there may be a separate volume for the assistant, and a delay also may be needed. I will work with it tonight to see what i can come up with. I had done this with Google Home before moving to Home Assistant, so it has been a few years and things may have changed slightly. 

And if my home assistant routine is similar to whats needed in google, i actually needed to minimize the volume rather than mute the device.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 693

Replies: 4

Tags

Routines
Related Articles