Kasa bulbs need better color control

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-30 17:31:58
Model: KL130  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I love my kasa bulbs.  I have one major complaint and a few small ones. 

- I need to be able to control the color of the lights more accurately. Allow me to enter HEX or RGB values to set the colors. This is simply a must and I have no idea why you don't already allow it.  

- Let me set preset values and save them as holidays.  I have 9 lights on my house.  We have patterns and colors we use for several holidays and life events throughout the year and I wish we could just click preset lights for christmas or valentines day or seth's birthday.  It would be amazing if I could set them as a group and each takes it's appropriate color for that preset holiday but I'd be happy with eah light having it's own if that's the closest you could get.  Having to try and find the right colors every single time is simply a pain.

- On the same note, it would be cool if I could schedule presets. "Set Christmas from Dec 1-Dec 25th" "Set Valentines for February 13th-15th" or something like that.  Again this would be absolutely amazing to have done automatically according to my presets.  You could even give suggested themes for holidays or suggest news related themes.  We changed our lights to yellow and blue when Ukraine was first being attacked. We have changed lights based on sporting events.

- lastly, is there a way to get a brown color? lol...  Sometimes I want a brown and we simply can't seem to get one.  Would love your advice.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Kasa bulbs need better color control
2022-12-01 22:49:12

@jcase16,

I will pass your recommendation on to have the ability to add RGB/Hex values, however, different bulbs and versions may calculate this differently depending on their hardware and such; so the values may not always provide a similar color across all bulbs. However, it would be nice to have the ability at least for individual lights.

For your presets, each light do have available presets that appear at the top of the screen when you click into a device. You can change the default presets by going into the section at the bottom; here you can create custom presets or use a recent setting.

To automate this, you could create a Smart Action for a Device or Group that would set the lights to a specific color, or activate a preset.

For your holiday themes, What I would really recommend is to create a Scene, and set the lights however you would want. Then whenever this scene is triggered, all the lights would go to what they were set as during the creation of the scene.

I do see that the Smart Actions does not include a date function and only includes a weekly schedule, so I definitely will pass the recommendation on that users would like to see more date-based triggers for Smart Actions.

Lastly, I think that it is actually very difficult to create a Brown Light with one bulb, as it relies on the complete mix of two light spectrums, you may be able to create a similar effect with multiple bulbs split between red and green, however, it would not be an actual brown light. Your best bet is to try and use the dark oranges for the effect. I know that when I have tried to send similar RGB values to other brands of bulbs the color often comes across as a gross yellow.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 674

Replies: 1

Related Articles