Mobile clients listed as wiredVR2100

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-19 07:26:56 - last edited 2024-03-19 07:32:31
Model: Archer VR2100  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1.00

Using the Tether app on my iPhone, I have just found that the one I was using iPhone XR and my separate work iPhone 12 were showing under wired connection on the Clients list rather than wireless. The router had just been rebooted (via Tether app) as its Internet connection had dropped overnight (this was unusual, having only happened once or twice previously that I can remember). I don't remember devices showing in the wrong section of clients previously so wonder if it's just because of the reboot and it will sort itself out later. Is this something that has been observed before?

[Edit]

Thinking about it, does the router or Tether app decide the connection based on the MAC address so gets"fooled" maybe when phones are using the Private Wi-Fi feature?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Mobile clients listed as wiredVR2100
2024-03-19 11:30:25

@Paul_S_ 

I doubt that the router or tether app decides whether the client is wired or wireless based on its MAC address.

Using a randomized MAC address by mobile devices is just a security feature that can be disabled.

If you just rebooted the router wait for while and check the client status again. Do you have any other router or AP in your network ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-20 07:02:04

@terziyski It's odd. When I got home from work and checked, both phones were correctly listed under 5Ghz. But this morning, they're both listed as wired again.

Options
2024-03-20 10:30:12

@Paul_S_ 

This has been observed in other router models. If you search through the community you'll find similar reports.

It's just that I can't find one for VR2100, but this could be only observed in tether app.

Did you check the VR2100 web management interface to check if this information is correct ?

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-22 07:19:25

@terziyski Yes, the web interface has the same issue, but I believe I've worried it out:

I should have made the connection (no pun intended) earlier but I have a couple of TL-WPA8631P OneMesh PowerLine adaptors, and a quick test moving my work mobile closer to one of those then closer to the VR2100 does move that between wired and 5Ghz so clearly those treat all connections as wired and don't pass the actual endpoint device connection details back to the router.

Options
2024-03-22 16:41:05

@Paul_S_ 

Yes, usuing the TL-WPA8631P explains everything.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 263

Replies: 5

Related Articles