OneMesh network with 2 wired routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-29 13:38:18
Model: Archer AX73  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello folks -

Needed some advice on how fix a dead spot in one of my rooms.

I have an Archer AX73 wifi router (in my upper floor living room) that is connected via LAN to my ISP's fiber modem (which is in the garage).    I have a couple of RE305s and a RE505X, which provide a stable mesh network throughout the house.

However, i am having a problem in my office - specifically, in the corner where my workstation is set up.   I need to daisy-chain 2 extenders to get coverage here and the speeds are horrendous (I have been trying to download 350GB worth of images from my cloud account and in the past 24 hours, i have only gotten 70GB done).    Streaming music to the  system in this room is also laggy, frequently freezing up (which never happens elsewhere in the house).

There is a LAN cable wired into this room, that goes to the garage. What i want to do is this:

- attach a second router to this LAN cable, which is connected to my fiber modem on the other end

- have the network broadcast by this router become a part of that OneMesh network in the house

I know it is not possible to have a TP-Link router form a *wireless* link with another TP-Link router using OneMesh - but what about a second wired router?       Would one of the Deco routers, such as Deco M4, do the job?

(I cannot run a LAN cable from my AX73 router upstairs to the office without redoing all the internal wiring, which is not an option right now)

TIA!

Options
2 Reply
Re:OneMesh network with 2 wired routers
2023-05-30 03:06:59 - last edited 2023-05-30 03:07:14

@guadzilla 

Hi, please confirm if your fiber modem is a modem only, or modem and router combined.

If it is a modem only, usually it could only allow one router connecting to it for internet access, if it is a modem and router combined, two routers will be able to connect to it at the same time for internet access.

Besides, please note that OneMesh doesn't support Router-Router networking, so two OneMesh routers are unable to create a mesh network.

Deco M4 supports Deco Mesh, Deco Mesh and OneMesh are different mesh Wi-Fi solutions provided by TP-Link, you cannot build a mesh network by mixing TP-Link OneMesh™ routers/extenders with Deco Mesh. 

Therefore, even though two routers are allowed to connect your fiber modem at the same time, they are unable to create a mesh network for now.

In addition, if your current fiber modem is indeed a modem and router combined, you could consider another option: use Deco products to replace all your current OneMesh router and extenders, then you could connect two or more Deco to the fiber modem router via Ethernet cable and set up Deco as AP mode to create the Deco Mesh network.

Nice to Meet You in Our TP-Link Community. Check Out the Latest Posts: Archer GE550 - BE9300 Tri-Band Wi-Fi 7 Gaming Router EasyMesh Is Available When Wi-Fi Routers Work in AP Mode as A Controller. Archer BE550 New Software Enhances System Stability and Optimizes MLO Network Stability. TL-WA3001 Supports EasyMesh, Speed Limit, Guest Network in AP Mode and/or Multi-SSID Mode. If you found the post or response helpful, please click Helpful. If an answer solves your problem, click "Recommended Solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Options
Re:OneMesh network with 2 wired routers
2023-05-30 03:31:57

@Sunshine 

Thanks for that info.   So if i understand you correctly, even 2 wired routers wont form a OneMesh network, and if i out a Deco unit as Router X below, that wont work either:  the entire network has to be of Deco components.

The fiber modem is just a modem only - however, as per the ISP,  if i use a LAN splitter, i should be able to connect multiple routers to it, as below.   Would replacing the AX73, the three range extenders with Deco units, and adding one more Deco unit as Device X, achieve my intended goal?

TIA!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1516

Replies: 2

Related Articles